Twofers - A tale of 2 cities

Time for another challenge and this time it is my choice.   As you know we are looking for pairs of projects inspired by the theme.   My theme for this fortnight is CITIES.    As you might have realised by now my intention for this challenge is to create a set a playing cards.   Not a new idea projects making entirely different set have been around probably as long as playing cards.   They are often created as charity fund raising/awareness tools.  If you are interested in learning more about playing cards the Worshipful Company of Makers of Playing Cards is a great starting point.


For now my set is just something I've wanted to do for a several years and the idea of pairs seemed the perfect time to do it.


This card celebrates 2 of my favourite cities London and Paris and their two marvellous landmarks.   The London Eye this is a Stamping' up stamp, in blue Stayzon.   The Eiffel Tower in grey stayzon is from a long cherished but never used polymer set.   The alphabet stamps were from Trimline (I think) years ago and cost just £1, they are great so long as you do not want perfectly lined up and straight words.   The colouring is all felt tip, you cannot use solvent based pens with solvent based inks unless you want a blurred/muddy effect.    The hardest thing to do was drawing the clubs but these are at least the right shape for all their variety.


This 2nd card is a fantasy city, part of an Addicted to Stamps plate.   The buildings remind me of parts of Italy where buildings are brightly coloured and decorated outside.   Trompe-l'oeil techniques are employed with very dramatic and realistic effect.   Being southern Italy the skies are generally wall to wall blue.    Coloured again with felt pens a bright and cheerful effect was easy peasy.

Comments

  1. Great idea to make playing cards Zoe and a good start with the wonderful cities

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine I would put to use a lot of so far unused stamps by making a deck of cards. It can be quite tricky to use smallish stamps, especially buildings like this, but they're so perfect for this purpose. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop and leave a comment I love reading what you have to say. Recently I have been experiencing an error message when I try to leave a comment on my return visit. I make every effort to to come over and see your art works and hope this glitch will be resolved soon. xxx